Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fanaticism of Olympic proportions

Myself and the roomies at couples Olympics, the night of the opening ceremonies, sans our partners (From left: me-France, Nicole-China, Shyann-USA, and Stephanie-Canada)


When I started a blog, William told me that I would run out of things to write about quickly. I would like to say in my defense that I will ALWAYS have things to say, it's just that I'm always quite concerned about sending out silly or sappy sentimental dribble into the blogosphere which prevents me from writing about a lot of stuff that I would potentially like to say. However, tonight is the last night of the Olympics-an event that always flies by after a year and a half of waiting, and I couldn't let the whole thing go by with out saying a little something about how deeply crazy I am about the Olympics.
Everyone has things they look forward to. Summer, March Madness, Saturday morning, and LOST (cue creepy, screechy music) are a few of the things on mine (and probably everyone else's) list. But when it comes to the Olympics, it's a whole different level of obsession.
I think most of my love comes from my mother-a woman who mainly ignores any and all sports, but watches any Olympic event with rapt enthusiasm and interest. My earliest Olympic memory dates back to 1994. Only four years old, and up way past my bed time, my mom let me stay curled up in her lap to watch the entire women's figure skating event and I still remember Oksana Baiul...wearing her hideous and infamous swan outfit, win the gold medal in figure skating. Even at that young age, I remember feeling an appreciation for the Olympics-for the worldwide unity, as well as the in-house comfort they bring during their two week stay. I know you read this Mom-so shout out to you and the Olympic fervor you've passed on to me. I've now had three Olympics pass by since I moved away from home, and nothing quite brings about the homesickness like the Olympics and their infamous theme song.
Speaking of the theme song, for those who don't know much about Bellingham, you should probably be informed that it is only an hour away from Vancouver, which means that during these Olympics, besides feeling the my usual fervor for team USA, I am also now daily bombarded by Canadian tv and radio stations that first inform me it is 9 degrees Celsius (which means NOTHING TO ME) and also that Canada has to beat America in hockey or else the world will end (So basically we are all lucky that USA lost today)! Some people I know have come to the conclusion that the Canadian channels bring us better coverage of the Olympics because it's much less commercialized and biased and blah blah. However, Canada will always lose in this argument because-get this- they have no Olympic theme song! They should probably get one of those-and probably just use ours because it's the best- ASAP! What is a huge global event doing without a proper theme song? Are all other countries similarly suffering under such a travesty? This reminds me that I should probably write a blog sometime about how much I love John Williams and how he's on my "5 famous people in history you would invite to dinner" list...

But getting back on task... ever since the Nagano Olympics in 1998, I have made it a habit to save cool pictures and articles from all the Olympics and which I then put in a box and never look at again. It's kind of ridiculous how much of this crap makes up my memory boxes in storage at home. However, on my bulletin board of favorite things (which includes a picture of a diet coke, the tag from my first pair of 7s, and my friendship bracelet from Zambia) I have the "GO WORLD" visa poster from the last summer Olympics, along with one of Morgan Freeman's little speeches about how everyone roots for athletes not because of the country they come from, but because they are human, and when they succeed, we feel their triumph and succeed with them. This may be the exact cheesy sentiment that I say I want to avoid, but I do truly feel that's exactly why the Olympics are so much more (in my opinion of course) exciting and emotional than any other sporting event out there. Of course almost every different event is interesting and intense to watch in it's own way, but it's really those heart-wrenching stories of athletes like Joannie Rochette or Alexandre Bilodeau that makes every Olympics so incredibly memorable and worth watching. Right now at the currently-happening closing ceremonies, people from all over the world are jam packed into one stadium celebrating all the Olympic athlete's hard-work together. The Olympics are ending again, I'm sure before the night is over I will cry a little bit because I always do, but really, there are only 897 days until the 2012 games in London...and yes, I definitely will be counting.

No comments: