Monday, October 17, 2011

The coziest chili

So fact about me: I'm slowly learning to love to cook.  Before I met William, I didn't know how to cook a thing! Frozen pizzas and rice-a-roni were my daily go-tos.  Then William came in to my life and was like, look, this is how you boil water and make rice, this is how you cut vegetables and eat them, etc. It was revolutionary. However, once I started living in the same city as William, and Nicole for that matter, I stopped cooking because they were both so effortlessly good at it. For example: William will be like oh, I'll just take some eggplant, and carrots, and potatoes, and spices, and pasta and blah blah blah and then just whip up this amazing, unheard of dish that is phenomenal. How can I compete with that?  As he continues to tell me, by practicing. He is such a know-it-all. But he's also right.  So after finding like, the most all time amazing chili recipe ever, and using it and perfecting it to my very spicy-loving tastes twice, I am ready to share it with the world. Just to warn you, I'm a dash, and estimating kind of cooker.  I really never know exact amounts, and really, who doesn't change things up a bit to fit their personal tastes? So just go with me, and be willing to experiment.  Don't be afraid to add more veggies, beans, or whatever, just keep in mind to up the liquids (like the tomatoes or wine) to keep it saucy.
What you'll need:

-1lb ground beef (I don't eat meat that often, but this chili is so good I've started keeping an eye out for when ground beef is on sale just for this meal. I think it would be good, but not amazing with out the beef, if you're thinking of keeping it strictly veggie.)
-About a teaspoon each of sage and thyme. I honestly had some sage on hand and then threw in some italian seasoning and called it good.
-3 cloves of garlic (at least!) minced
-1 yellow onion, chopped
-1 jalepeno pepper, chopped (seeds removed)
-1 anaheim pepper (for more spicy) or bell pepper (for less), chopped
-1 tablespoon chili powder (I use WAY more)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (also use WAY more)
-Red pepper flakes, to taste
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-1 cup red wine (it says burgundy, but I just grabbed a $2 bottle of the merlot at Trader Joe's cuz' some lady's comments said it tasted good, and yes, it does, so I feel like any smoky, cheap red you can find would probably turn out nice)
-1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
-1 16 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 16 oz . can corn, drained
  (Meat before adding any of the liquids)

Brown meat with sage, thyme, and garlic, add onion and peppers, sauteing for 5-6 minutes until translucent. Add spices, stirring until they you know, mix in. Add cup of wine, let simmer until liquid reduces by half (this doesn't take long).  Mix in tomatoes, bring to a boil.  Add beans and corn.  Let it sit covered on medium-low heat for...the recipe says an hour, but it really only takes a half I would say, so taste-test often. Top with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, whatever! Serves four (or two really hungry people for the whole day).

Enjoy while watching football on a drippy, fall day with your best eating-buddy!
 
 First day busting out the slippers!
Oh yeah,p.s. I also got these shoes, and this awesome table cloth at Value Village this weekend for $10 total. Thanks shopping gods! 



No comments: